Internal/External Job Posting 1 year Contract- Full Time
POSITION: Case Worker/ Volunteer Coordinator for Somali Seniors
STATUS: Full time 1 year position- 35 hours/week May 2019- May 2020
REPORTS TO: Manager of Diverse Seniors Support Services Unit at JFS
LOCATION: Somali Centre for Family Services
- Provide case management and social work interventions
- Facilitate or broker mental health sessions for seniors, their caregivers and families
- Assess seniors needs, prepare psycho-social assessments, set goals with clients, intervene as necessary to assist seniors and their families and follow up as necessary
- Maintain accurate records, hours of work and prepare assessment and progress reports.
- Serve as a liaison between outreach staff, volunteers and clients
- Actively recruit volunteers
- Facilitate orientation sessions for volunteers.
- Coordinate volunteers in meeting the seniors' specific needs such as visiting, driving or helping with events.
- Schedule and coordinate volunteer recognition and appreciation events
- Attend and participate in professional and community meetings.
- Work effectively in a multi-disciplinary and multicultural team environment
- Use computer for statistics and reports
- Work some evenings and possibly weekends
- Use of a vehicle with a valid driver's license
Education and Experience:
- BSW, SSW or equivalent in experience, education and training
- Knowledge of Somali language and culture is essential.
- Specific training in aging issues and seniors programming
- Comprehensive knowledge of multicultural issues and aging as well as knowledge of available community services/supports
- One year experience working with vulnerable clients and/or families
- Strong English communication skills
Please submit your resume with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 25, 2019. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.